In your research you need to be able to clearly identify the following aspects of analogue synthesis:
- What is a modular or semi- modular synth?
- What is an integrated (or all-in-one) synth (like the Roland SH-09)
- what is a VCO, VCA and VCF and how do they work?
- What is a noise generator?
- What is a LFO? How can they be used?
- What is an EG and what does ADSR mean?
- How can you trigger or play a synthesiser?
The video below is a good (if slightly irritating) overview of Subtractive Synthesis…weird voice, but you can’t have everything..
This document covers Synthesis, synthesizers and the development of the MIDI protocol, all key stuff for the Unit 4 exam.
If you have an interest in delving further into this world..this excellent video provides a deeper level of explanation..